London Staycation. Greenwich.

_MG_4232lr

I went to Greenwich yesterday and as far as my explorations around London go this one was pretty fun. I knew about Greenwich park but imagine my glee when I also stumbled on to Greenwich University and realized that I was standing in the same place as sexy Aussie Chris Hemsworth. I could just imagine him in his bodysuit sweating away, but I was also very happy because it’s such a beautiful place. I can’t believe this city and the treasures it holds, and I have only seen a tiny fraction of it.

I wasn’t alone and getting to share it with two new London friends J & T was a great way to spend the afternoon. The best thing about travelling is that you get to experience things for the first time again, It’s like being a kid all over. Food, places, smells and experiences all take on a fresh perspective.

The Painted Hall was stunning and I could have spent hours in there taking pictures. At first when I walked in I thought the walls and columns were sculptured, I had to do a double take to realize that the entire interior was painted. The artwork is beautiful but as a photographer I was dazzled by the painters understanding of light and shadow.

_MG_4244lr

_MG_4251lr_MG_4257lr

It was like a taste of a time long gone and standing in in rooms that were already hundreds of years old when Australia was first settled is a humbling experience. I could have spent hours in there but the park beckoned. As we left the hall a tall ship cruised past the University down the River Thames.

Greenwich Park is beautiful. Coming from Melbourne which has so many parks I couldn’t help feeling how similar London and Melbourne are. The best thing about checking these places out with some locals is that they know all the little places that the tourists don’t know about.

_MG_4272lr

The Greenwich Royal Observatory was nice to see but crowded and a little bit touristy, so after the obligatory picture over the Prime Meridian we took a short walk away over a small hill to a beautiful view of the city high rises. It’s the first time I have seen London look like a regular city with skyscrapers.

Next trip we are planning to visit Stonehenge… I can’t wait for that one.

_MG_4274lr

5 thoughts on “London Staycation. Greenwich.

• September 22, 2014 at 3:17 am

Last I heard they won’t let you get up to the stones. You need to see the ships at Portsmouth–Almost, but not quite the same trains.

• September 22, 2014 at 3:49 am

Its great to see you getting out and about, the weather looks great too. Stonehenge will be great but from my experience a little disappointing in what you actually expect but that’s my opinion. You continue to explore and have fun. Its also great to see you making friends with the locals lol. Be safe babe.

• September 22, 2014 at 8:15 am

Hi Shannon, have you thought about a new calendar? 6 months of London views, 6 months of Melbourne views? Try and visit Richmond Park in the early morning – mist, greenery – can be stunning.

• September 22, 2014 at 11:44 am

When holidaying in London earlier this year, a person I knew from the internet took us to Trinity Buoy Wharf and then on then the chairlift across The Thames and then on to Greenwich. It was a terrific adventure away from the usual tourist sights we had already seen.

• September 24, 2014 at 10:18 am

wow that place looks cool. hmm Shannon and Chris Hemsworth together now that would be a nice site to see 🙂

oh distracted there for a minute, anyway yea painters and photographers do share a lot in common. like composition, subjects, background information, leading lines, rule of thirds. But generally there is one difference and that’s painters have to figure out what to include while as a photographer you have to figure out what to exclude. not always the case but in both they are art.

looking forward to you at Stonehenge as it looks like your having a grand old time.