I am just over half way through the 30 day squat challenge and I am pleased with the results. It’s also been great timing for the jockstrap challenge.
Seeing as many of you have joined in or started your own squat challenges I thought it might be a good idea to show you how to do a squat. I’m not a trainer so I had to search around youtube to make sure that I was doing them properly.
Here are 7 tips on how to get the best out of your squats.
1. Hip hinge. Your knees should not move further forward than your toes. Use your hips to bend and push your butt backwards.
2. Head position. Straight forward or slightly up to help maintain your spinal alignment. I find this also assists me with balance.
3. Chest out and shoulders back. This also help with you spinal alignment. Don’t allow your shoulders to become rounded.
4. Lower back posture. Slightly arch your back as you push your butt back.
5. Toe position. Toes should be slightly pointed out with feet slightly wider than your shoulder width apart. The wider your feet are the more you will work your hamstrings and glutes, closer will work your quads more.
6. Breath in as you come down and out as you come up.
Another tip my trainer gave me was to remember to push up with your heels and squeeze your butt as you rise up.
Always remember to consult a Doctor or physical therapist if you are concerned about injuries before you begin a new training program. Personal trainers at your gym can also assist you with your workouts and checking your form.
Here is the video I originally found on youtube. Check it out!