A while ago a blog buddy asked me if I had to go back to my old high school and give a speech to the graduating class, what would I say?
1. Be open to possibility, everything is an opportunity no matter how large or small it may seem. Not every opportunity will lead to greatness but every opportunity could. Don’t let the fear of failure hold you back from the chance to do something amazing.
2. Accept that there are things you may never understand.
3. Dance in your underwear from time to time.
4. Get out of your comfort zone. The most amazing adventures of my life have been unexpected or spontaneous. Sometimes there is risk but we can mitigate that risk if we are clever and well prepared. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
5. You are not so different from everybody else. We all have fear, we all have insecurities, we all worry about our looks, we all feel pain and we all want to be loved. Empathy for the people that wrong you or hurt you will help you to forgive and leave you with a lot less stress in your life.
6. When the world won’t accept you, dare it to keep up with you. Sometimes it’s up to the sidekicks of the world to keep up with the Superheroes.
7. Don’t worry if you don’t know where your life is headed, you’re not supposed to, life is a journey not a destination. So many people stress over what they are doing with their lives and they miss the opportunities that are on offer. Plan for the future, superannuation, a place to live, a good education, a good job are all important but remember that what we want changes every day, pursue your dreams and the rest will attend to itself.
8. Understand the need to understand. The world around you is a complex place. Understand that there are reasons for everything. Seek other perspectives, that is the doorway to wisdom.
9. Love everybody.
10. Remember we are all flawed. No body is perfect and that is alright. It is alright to make mistakes and it is alright to fail. How you choose to keep going is what makes you who you are. You cannot control the world but you can control how you react to it.
What would you say?