There was a while when I didn’t go out or socialise much because I couldn’t afford too, or so I thought. With all the pressure of the Gay scene and dating in general it would be easy to think that you don’t have much to offer a partner because you can’t afford to take them out or buy them shiney things. Nothing could be further from the truth.
If you are worried about dating on a budget here are a few quick ideas I have used in the past when finances have been tight.
– Taking the time to learn something about your date is the best way to impress them with the little things. We all appreciate a little bit of pampering. Surprise your date with their favourite dinner or by taking them to their favourite spot. Fancy restaurants have been done to death. Really impress your date with a great picnic and a beautiful sunset.
– Cheesy dates can be the most fun. A single rose is inexpensive and a great way to impress the romantic at heart. Head out for coffee at a cute cafe. Some of the most fun dates I’ve had have been sitting on milk crates in the sunshine over a cup of tea. Conversation is free and the best way to connect with your date.
– Hit the trail. For the outdoors type hitting the bike or hiking trail is an awesome cheap date. Pack some snacks and a bottle of water and get back to nature. Fresh air and sunshine along with a beautiful view (of you in bike shorts) will leave you date feeling the endorphins and seeing hearts.
– The Farmers market. Local markets and arts & crafts fairs make great dates. A stroll through the stalls checking out the interesting things for sale, buskers, live entertainments and all the colour and energy will make for a fun date. There will be lots of opportunities for conversation and party food.
– Check out the local events guide. Street parties and festivals make great dates with lots of entertainment already built in to them. Live bands and food will give you plenty to talk about and you can wander around at your leisure. Find something that you will both enjoy or in which your date will be interested. Pack a blanket and some snacks from home and you will be prepared for anything.
– Take a walk. Many cities have some amazing street art. Tell your date to wear comfortable shoes and then hit the alley ways. Pack some snacks and take them on a walking tour of the local street art. Find the arty district and check out the buskers and street performers before stopping for a coffee or a picnic.
– Galleries. There are lots of free art galleries in every city. Do a little bit of research and check them out. A little bit of culture can go along way to impress.
– The home cooked meal. As a second or third date the home cooked meal is a great way to impress the object of your desire. I nice bottle of wine a few candles and good food will show your beau that not only are you a great catch but that you are a keeper too.
Always remember that you have something to offer. The best relationships are built on genuine connections, the real boys worth dating will love you for you not for your wallet. Don’t do what I did and sit at home worried that you don’t have the cash to impress. You’re impressive already and people will see that.